It’s been a while since I’ve updated this blog. A lot has happened since my last post. First, Two Kings Games business. As most of you can tell, we’re trying to get a local gaming convention started here in the MIddle Georgia area. We’ve dubbed it King Con to go along with our name “Two Kings Games”. As you’re reading this, you may or may not know that we’ve actually had a Kickstarter to try and raise funds for the convention. It failed.
That might seem like a bad thing, but strangely enough, it hasn’t been. Since the initial Kickstarter failure, we’ve been seeing more and more interest in King Con. My only guess to why this is, is that our first Kickstarter was much like one of those first conventions that always seem really rocky. It’s almost as though we were given a pass on that and allowed to start at our second convention.
Since our failed Kickstarter I’ve had a number of people approach me with events that they want to run at the convention. Because of this, the King Con effort will not just end quietly. We’ve started a new Kickstarter and added in the details for all these great events, which include a Magic tournament, a Heroclix tournament, a WarHammer 40k tournament, a HeroScape tournament and a Settlers of Catan tournament. This is not to mention, that two well-liked board game groups have volunteered to run our board game tables. We’ve even signed on a guest of honor to come game with us during the con. With all of this new support I don’t see how we can fail now.
I have to admit, with all the work going into the convention, there hasn’t been a lot of time spent on the D4: Basic development. It’s not a dead project by any means, but there has been a large gap in production. I do plan on having a nice looking, full fledged demo of D4 at King Con for people to try out.
I’ve also started running Gamma World 1E at Heroes & Villains (the local gaming store here in Warner Robins). It’s been a fun and different ride. This is the first time I’ve ran any version of Gamma World and it took me a little time to get the hang of it completely. My biggest pitfall was that since I have so many players who played a miutant (probably upwards to about 12) that almost every major mutant power is owned by someone in the group. Another tough thing that I battle with, is that I have 2 players with the “giant” power. It’s hard to keep in mind how this effects things such as surprising and how NPCs would react to these giant players.
One thing I liked about the system was the whole “discovering artifact” mechanic. I think it’s a neat mechanic and a wonderful idea. The only beef I have are those stinking little charts are so hard to use, especially in the book. Because of this I came up with my own system. I feel that it does a good job at capturing the randomness of the old system and uses a simple enough mechanic that you can use it without looking back into the book.
Here’s a download link.